How to Install Kitchen Island Lighting Professionally? Tips & Tricks
What should you do to take a kitchen to a whole new level? The majority of licensed electricians will tell you that the proper lighting will give your kitchen that extra look. And actually, that’s the truth — if you want to update your lighting, getting pendant lights is a low-cost and simple option.
So, are you thinking about installing a beautiful pendant light for your kitchen island? If you don’t know where to start, then you’ve come to the right place because RG Electric Company is here to help!
Process of Kitchen Island Lighting Installation
Understanding the equipment that will be used and how to isolate a circuit is necessary for electrical installations securely. DIY enthusiasts can study books or watch videos, but as soon as they begin tinkering with electrical circuits, they run the danger of suffering an electrical shock.
That’s why the installation of your pendant lights is significantly better off being handled by qualified electricians like our team in Los Angeles. Despite the risk, if you want to install pendant lights yourself, you should be aware of the procedures used by licensed electricians.
How to Install Pendant Lighting for a Kitchen Island?
Did you know that kitchen island pendant lighting has become a real trend in the modern world? Here are 8 simple steps to install pendant lights for kitchen islands efficiently:
- Remove the fixture and all the components from the box you purchased, and make sure to inventory all your accessories.
- Turn off the electricity at the circuit breaker or fuse box to isolate the circuit.
- Begin by running the wires from the fuse box to the spot where you wish to hang the pendant lights.
- Once you’ve measured the space and determined where you want the lights to go, you need to cut the holes to provide room for the fixture installation.
- Standard household electrical regulations are followed while wiring the fixture. Connect the black and white wires that come from the junction box to the appropriate spots on the fixture.
- The ground wire from the fixture should be connected to the ground screw at the junction box.
- Restarting the electricity at the fuse or circuit breaker box will test the switch. If the light is functional — you succeeded! If it doesn’t, you could be dealing with anything from bad wiring to a possible short circuit.
- Switch off the electricity at the circuit breaker or fuse box and contact a professional electrician right away.
How to Fix Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting?
The frequently asked question is: how big or broad should the pendant light be? The breadth or size should depend on how much light is required to brighten your workspace. You may find a quick guide to choosing the right items for the kitchen island pendant lighting fixture.
- The smallest and least bright pendants are 10′′ in diameter, and they are convenient for relatively small kitchens.
- Pendants 10′′–20′′ in size will provide adequate task illumination in the kitchen. Especially if you have additional recessed lighting sources
- Pendants 20′′ and up are regarded as having a bigger scale. If this is the only source of light in the kitchen, the size is ideal. Additionally, if your kitchen is spacious and has a high ceiling, you might use them for drama or beauty.
How Many Lights Should I Hang Over?
If you’re wondering whether you should hand over your island, you should know that it’s all up to you to decide how many lights to hang over it. You are free to add as many as you choose.
You may hang a pendant light every three feet along a six-foot-long island for a total of two lights. No one can tell you the best quantity since every kitchen is unique. Keep in mind to take measurements before you start shopping and choose the one that is best for you and your kitchen.
When to Hire an Electrician When Installing Kitchen Lights?
Hiring an electrician might be a good option if you are getting ready to install pendant lights in a space where you are trying to convert or add 1-2 more fixtures from a single lighting source.
The reason for this is that, among other requirements, your project may call for adding more code-compliant wiring. Therefore, it is advisable to be safe if you are unaware.
You should also consider installation costs, which might range from $80 per hour and higher, depending on the level of experience of your electrician.
For further information, you can easily get in touch with our team of professional electricians at RG Electric. Just share your kitchen island pendant lighting ideas with us, and we guarantee to provide the best service based on your requirements!